October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month
Cybersecurity Awareness Month was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure every American has the resources, they need to stay safer and more secure online.
October Cybersecurity tips:
- Update antivirus and anti-malware software regularly. Patch all your security software, web browser, and operating systems frequently. A simple tip too often overlooked.
- Back up your computer/mobile contacts, financial data, photos, videos, and other data to a cloud service in case your device is compromised.
- Keep your devices locked when you are not using it. Even if you only step away for a few minutes, that is enough time for someone to steal or misuse your information.
- Use strong PINs and passwords for all your devices. Stay away from dates and pet names.
- Add Multi-Factor Authentication/Two-Factor Authentication or use an authenticator app. Not only for the access to your mobile apps, but for all your online accounts.