October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month
Cybersecurity Awareness Month was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure every American has the resources, they need to stay safer and more secure online.
October Cybersecurity tips:
- Update antivirus and anti-malware software regularly. Patch all your security software, web browser, and operating systems frequently. A simple tip too often overlooked.
- Back up your computer/mobile contacts, financial data, photos, videos, and other data to a cloud service in case your device is compromised.
- Keep your devices locked when you are not using it. Even if you only step away for a few minutes, that is enough time for someone to steal or misuse your information.
- Use strong PINs and passwords for all your devices. Stay away from dates and pet names.
- Add Multi-Factor Authentication/Two-Factor Authentication or use an authenticator app. Not only for the access to your mobile apps, but for all your online accounts.
Contact LIFARS immediately as soon as you learn that adversaries got hold of the data you want to protect.